News   /   More

Iran demands compensation from Ukraine over ‘terrorist’ attack on merchant ship

Kazem Jalali, Iran’s ambassador to Russia.

Iran’s ambassador to Russia has reiterated that Ukraine must compensate the Islamic Republic for the July 25 “terrorist” attack on an Iranian merchant ship in the Caspian Sea, which killed one sailor and injured several others.

Kazem Jalali told Russia’s RIA Novosti on Wednesday that the Ukrainian attack on the Iranian vessel constituted a “terrorist and criminal act,” describing it as a deliberate attack on a civilian ship carrying commercial cargo under the Iranian flag.

Noting that Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha had apologized to Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi over the attack, Jalali said Ukraine’s European and American backers must also accept responsibility for Kyiv’s actions and hold Ukrainian officials accountable.

“Ukraine’s European and American supporters must also accept their responsibility for Kyiv’s actions and hold them accountable,” he said.

Jalali said Ukrainian officials had accepted responsibility for the attack on the Iranian merchant ship Anna in the Caspian Sea and assured Tehran that Iranian vessels would not be targeted again.

Asked about Iran’s potential response to the attack, Jalali said Tehran was currently seeking compensation from the Ukrainian government for the damages and payment to those affected by the attack. He said talks were underway on the issue, expressing hope that they would produce a positive outcome.

The Anna, a privately owned Iranian merchant ship carrying a cargo of rolled steel, came under a Ukrainian drone attack in the Caspian Sea on July 25 while traveling from Russia’s Astrakhan to Iran’s Bandar Anzali.

The vessel was carrying 11 people, nine Iranian citizens and two Indian nationals. The attack killed one Iranian sailor and injured several other crew members.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, in a post on X on July 25, effectively claimed responsibility for the attack.

Iran strongly condemned the attack, with Foreign Minister Araghchi describing it as a “clear violation of the United Nations Charter” and saying it had been carried out “at Israel’s instigation to drag Europe into war.”

Araghchi also raised the issue in separate telephone conversations with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, emphasizing the seriousness of the attack and its implications for regional security.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE