The death toll from Colombia's magnitude-7.5 earthquake on Aug 10 has risen to 312, with 4,611 people injured, the country's disaster management agency said Tuesday.
As of 19:00 on Tuesday, 290 remained missing with 358 others rescued, the latest report from the National Unit for Disaster Risk Management of Colombia (UNGRD) showed.
Colombia's President Abelardo de la Espriella said Monday night that about one-third of the country had been affected by the quake, which was centered in San Jose del Palmar, in the department of Choco.
He said preliminary estimates put direct economic losses from the earthquake at nearly 30 trillion Colombian pesos (about 9.6 billion U.S. dollars), including 24.5 trillion pesos in building damage and 5.5 trillion pesos in infrastructure damage.
"This is a preliminary figure that will be adjusted as we obtain more information," he said.
Humanitarian aid from Colombia and abroad continues to arrive in the hardest-hit areas while search and rescue teams are still working in places where people may remain trapped under rubble.
(Source: Reuters)