News   /   Politics

Chance still exists for win-win solution to Iran’s nuclear issue: Araghchi

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during an interview with CBS News aired on February 22, 2026.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says there is still "a good chance" for a diplomatic solution to the nuclear dispute based on a win-win outcome for all sides. 

“One fact is there, that if they [the US] want to find a resolution for Iran's peaceful nuclear program, the only way is diplomacy,” Araghchi said in an interview with CBS News aired on Sunday.

He added that there is still a “good chance” of having a diplomatic solution based on a win-win game, emphasizing, “A solution is at our reach.”

“So there is no need for any military buildup, and military buildup cannot help it and cannot pressurize us,” the top Iranian negotiator pointed out.

The interview comes as Iran and the US held a second round of indirect nuclear negotiations at the Omani consulate general in the Swiss city of Geneva on February 17. As in the previous round in the Omani capital of Muscat, the agenda of the talks focused primarily on the nuclear issue and the lifting of illegal US sanctions.

Following the talks, the Iranian foreign minister said the two sides agreed on a set of guiding principles to clear the path for future talks. 

Separately, a senior US official, who spoke to Reuters on Wednesday, said Iran was expected to present a written proposal for resolving its dispute with the United States following the Geneva talks.

The US maintains that Iran must cease its nuclear program, whereas Tehran asserts that it is not pursuing nuclear weapons and says it is entitled to peaceful nuclear energy.

Washington began its war rhetoric against Iran after recent economic protests in the country, which were hijacked by foreign spy agencies and turned violent. 

Since then, the US president has kept threatening military action against Iran, deploying two carrier groups and dozens of fighter jets, bombers, and refueling aircraft to regional waters near Iran.

In response to a question about when Iran would present a draft proposal to US President Donald Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff, Araghchi said Tehran was still working on it and aimed to ensure it included elements that address the concerns and interests of both sides.

“We are working on those elements, and I believe that when we meet, probably this Thursday in Geneva again, we can work on those elements and prepare a good text and come to a fast deal. This is my understanding. I see it quite possible,” the Iranian foreign minister said.

He emphasized that the Iranian negotiating team will continue talks with the US and “at the same time, we are working on the elements of a deal and a draft of the text.”

He expressed hope that when the Iranian negotiators are in Geneva, they will be prepared to negotiate those drafts.

A senior US official told Axios on Sunday morning that American negotiators are ready to hold another round of talks with Iran on Friday in Geneva if they receive a detailed proposal from Iran within the next 48 hours.

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi later confirmed in a post on X that the next round of indirect talks between Iran and the US will be held on Thursday in Geneva.

 

When asked about the differences between the 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), signed under the Barack Obama administration and a potential agreement with US President Donald Trump’s administration, Araghchi said the situation has changed over the past 10 years.

“Our nuclear program has advanced technologically and is more advanced than at that time. And there are, of course, more sanctions and more pressures,” the top Iranian diplomat explained.

He said he believes that Tehran and Washington can reach a better agreement than the JCPOA with elements that could be much better than the previous deal, as the two sides have gone into so many details.

“But I think right now there is no need for that many details. We can agree on basic things and we can make sure that Iran's nuclear program is peaceful and will remain peaceful forever. And at the same time, more sanctions would be lifted,” Araghchi pointed out.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku