Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi has strongly condemned a drone attack targeting the office of Iraqi Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani, describing the incident as reckless and urging Kurdish authorities to remain vigilant against false-flag plots designed to sow discord between neighbors.
In a post on X on Monday, Araghchi wrote, “Nothing justifies the reckless attack on PM Barzani’s office. Kurdish friends should be vigilant against false-flag ploys to sow discord between neighbors."
"We protected our Kurdish friends against Saddam and DAESH, and we’re thankful for the security they’ve provided on our border,” he stated.
Nothing justifies the reckless attack on PM Barzani's office. Kurdish friends should be vigilant against false-flag ploys to sow discord between neighbors.
— Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) August 17, 2026
We protected our Kurdish friends against Saddam and DAESH, and we're thankful for security they've provided on our border.
Earlier, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei also addressed the matter, calling the attack a “highly suspicious development."
Baqaei said Iran condemns the reported strike on Barzani’s office in Erbil and believes it could be a false-flag operation intended to incriminate the Islamic Republic.
Reports earlier on Monday indicated that two explosive-laden drones targeted the personal office of Barzani and the residence of the head of the Kurdistan Region’s Security and Intelligence Agency in the Pirmam district of Erbil. No casualties were reported.
The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Service claimed the drones had been launched from Iranian territory, an assertion that Iranian officials have firmly rejected.
A senior Iranian source told Lebanon’s Al-Mayadeen network that the incident was another example of a false-flag operation and that Iran had no connection to it. The source emphasized that Iranian military operations are always officially and openly announced, and that “anyone who respects Iran’s sovereignty earns Iran’s respect.”
In a telephone conversation with his Iraqi counterpart Fuad Hussein, Araghchi expressed surprise at the attack and stated that he had no information indicating the drones originated from Iranian territory.
He highlighted the positive and strong relations between the Iranian government and the Kurdistan Regional Government, particularly with its main political parties, and promised an official Iranian statement clarifying Tehran’s position.