News   /   Politics

Iran warns about consequences of normalizing violations of intl. rules

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) meets with his Swiss counterpart Ignazio Cassis in Geneva, Switzerland on February 17, 2026.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has warned about the consequences of normalizing violations of international rules and norms.

The top diplomat made the remarks in Geneva on Tuesday, meeting with his Swiss counterpart Ignazio Cassis after leading a high-ranking Iranian delegation during a second round of renewed indirect nuclear negotiations with the United States in the Swiss city.

Issuing the warning, Araghchi emphasized the importance of all governments’ upholding the rule of law and the principles and regulations of the United Nations Charter and international law.

The meeting featured the officials exchanging their respective views on regional and international developments, including the situation in the occupied Palestinian territories and the continuation of the Israeli regime’s US-backed colonial genocide of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

The top diplomats also presented their views and perspectives regarding the negotiation process, with Araghchi describing the talks as very serious and focused in nature.

He noted that, during the talks, the Iranian and American delegations generally reached an understanding on a set of guiding principles based on which the details concerning both sanctions relief and nuclear issues would be drafted in subsequent sessions.

Araghchi also thanked the Swiss government for the appropriate arrangements that were made to host this round of the talks.

For his part, Cassis expressed satisfaction that the negotiations were held in Geneva and emphasized Switzerland’s readiness to assist in any diplomatic process that would lead to a mutually acceptable solution, resolve standing differences, and prevent escalation of tensions.

The second round of the talks ended earlier in the day at the Omani Consulate in Geneva, with Muscat serving as the intermediary as in the case of the previous round that had been held in the Omani capital earlier this month.

As in the previous round, the agenda focused primarily on the nuclear issue and the lifting of the illegal US sanctions.

At the conclusion of the second round, the Iranian foreign minister said, “Good progress was made compared to the previous session, and this round was conducted in a more constructive atmosphere.”

Araghchi also commented on his meeting prior to the negotiations with Rafael Grossi, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Commenting on the latter meeting, he said, “On the technical aspects, good discussions were held with him (Grossi), and he also had good discussions with the American delegation.”

Araghchi emphasized: “From now on, we will proceed based on the guiding principles and move towards drafting the text of a possible agreement.” “This does not mean that we can reach an agreement quickly, but at least the path has begun. We hope this will be accomplished as soon as possible.”

The talks unfolded against a backdrop of rising regional tensions. According to US officials, President Donald Trump has ordered additional military assets to the region, including a second aircraft carrier, thousands of troops, warplanes, and guided-missile destroyers.

In late January, Trump referred to “another beautiful armada” of warships heading towards Iran and warned that failure to secure an agreement would result in consequences “far worse” than the unlawful strikes that American warplanes had carried out against Iran’s nuclear sites in June.

The Islamic Republic has stressed that it would respond firmly to any new act of military aggression, pointing to the June attacks, which led the country to launch a barrage of ballistic missiles at Al Udeid, Washington’s largest airbase in the region that is located in Qatar.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku