Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has dismissed the threat of tougher US sanctions against Tehran as another failed pressure tactic, saying Washington must engage with Iran respectfully and seek a solution based on “justice and honor.”
Speaking on the sidelines of a ceremony in Tehran on Sunday, Araghchi said US threats of economic action represented a familiar approach that Iran had encountered repeatedly.
“What they call an economic operation is a repeated scenario and the same old bullying in US policy,” Araghchi said.
He went on to say that Washington had shifted from threats of military action back to “old plans,” which he said reflected desperation in dealing with Iran.
Araghchi further noted that the US should recognize that pressure would not resolve its differences with Tehran.
“They have no choice but to speak to the Iranian people with respect and find a solution based on justice and honor,” he said.
Asked whether Iran was concerned about the prospect of an economic blockade and further threats, Araghchi said the country had never been intimidated by such measures.
“We have never been afraid,” he said, arguing that previous economic and military measures against Iran had failed and that the latest pressure campaign would meet the same fate.
His comments came after US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned that Washington could impose “the toughest sanctions in history” on Iran.
Bessent is scheduled to outline the administration’s position at a news conference on Monday.
US President Donald Trump has also warned countries against providing “any type of lifeline to Iran,” while Bessent has urged China to cooperate with Washington over Iranian oil exports. China remains a major buyer of Iranian crude and has called for diplomacy.
Meanwhile, Pakistan is continuing efforts to mediate between Iran and the United States amid the ongoing conflict.
Earlier in the day, Iran said Pakistani Army Chief Asim Munir would visit Tehran on Monday as part of regional efforts to restore peace and security.
A Pakistani government source said discussions would include recent developments, including the US threat of further sanctions.
Pakistan brokered a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Iran and the US on June 17 that required both sides to end all hostilities and prepare for further negotiations. However, the US violated the deal by conducting deadly aerial assaults on Iran and imposing a naval blockade of the country.
Pakistan had previously played a pivotal role in securing the April 8 ceasefire that brought an end to the 40-day illegal US-Israeli aggression against Iran.