Press TV's news headlines

US economic war on Iran

Iran’s foreign minister has slammed US President Donald Trump’s latest sanctions campaign against the Islamic Republic, saying that the move is a diversion from America’s own financial crises. Abbas Araghchi cited unprecedented US debt and surging interest costs as two examples of Washington’s economic problems. He said doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat and enmity of Iranians. Iran’s top diplomat said US economic terrorism threatens the global economy and sovereignty worldwide. On Wednesday, Trump announced what he called the most crushing economic operation against the Islamic Republic. He said any country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will face economic consequences. The announcement came after the failure of Washington’s recent aggression against the country. During Trump’s first term, Washington also pursued a so-called maximum pressure campaign against the Islamic Republic, but failed to achieve any of its objectives.

Iran warning

Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps says it has upgraded its military capabilities, warning that any future war against Tehran could see more destructive weapons.IRGC spokesman Brigadier General Hossein Mohebbi said Iran is continuously improving its military capabilities, including developing more accurate, destructive and technologically advanced weapons. He said if another war breaks out, Iran’s weapons would differ from those used previously, including potentially in the type of warheads, strike accuracy and missile range. Mohebbi also said Saudi Arabia would be unable to defeat Yemen’s Ansarallah forces, drawing a comparison with Israel’s failure to defeat Hamas despite more than two years of fighting in Gaza. He said Yemen’s military capabilities have continued to grow and warned that Saudi Arabia would not be able to contain the Ansarallah or remain safe from their attacks.

Settlers' siege on Qusra

The Israeli siege of the town of Qusra in the occupied West Bank has entered its 12th day. For nearly two weeks, Israeli settlers, backed by regime forces, have besieged three Palestinian families in their homes in Qusra, south of Nablus, cutting them off from basic supplies and emergency services. The Israeli army has declared the area a closed military zone, blocking activists from reaching the residents. The regime has sent more soldiers to the site, but has not detained any of the settlers. The siege began on August 9 when settlers set up tents outside the three homes in Qusra, trapping about 15 people. Palestinians say the Israelis are trying to steal their land and they will not leave. Settlers used the same tactic just last month to force a Palestinian family from their home in Jalud.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE