Yemeni army troops and fighters from the allied Popular Committees have managed to liberate hundreds of square kilometers of land and inflict heavy losses on the United Arab Emirates (UAE)'s mercenaries during the latest advances in the southern province of Shabwah over the past few days.
Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree stated on Wednesday that more than 515 militants and Daesh terrorists, including high-profile militant commanders, had been killed during the operations, while over 850 others have been wounded.
He added that more than 200 UAE-backed militants – better known by the nom de guerre the Giants – were also missing in action.
1- Our forces caused very large losses among UAE mercenaries & ISIS in the Shabwa governorate during past few days.— Yahya Sare'e (@Yahya_Saree) January 12, 2022
as the death toll reached more than 515, including leaders , the number of wounded exceeded 850 wounded &more than 200 missing, according to intelligence sources.
Saree said more than 102 armored vehicles belonging to the UAE-backed forces, in addition to a number of large and sophisticated cannons, had been destroyed in the process.
The senior Yemeni military official added that Yemeni armed forces have launched dozens of missile strikes against the positions of UAE mercenaries and Daesh terrorists in Shabwah, killing and wounding scores of them.
“Yemeni army soldiers and Popular Committees fighters continue to make sacrifices out of altruism as they confront Daesh elements and UAE mercenaries,” Saree said.
The remarks come as the UAE has reportedly dispatched allied Takfiri militants as well as military equipment to Yemen’s strategic central province of Ma’rib as Yemeni army troops and fighters from Popular Committees are gaining grounds there.
Pro-Saudi media outlets alleged that groups of UAE-backed militants had entered Ma’rib province from neighboring Shabwah province.
They claimed that the UAE's so-called crack al-Amaliqa Brigades had advanced into neighboring Marib province, recapturing most of the Harib district and turning around the fortunes of the battle.
Lebanon’s Arabic-language al-Mayadeen television news network reported on Sunday that the commander of the Third Brigade of the UAE-backed forces, Majdi al-Radfani, had died of his injuries after Yemeni army troops and their allies targeted UAE-sponsored militants in the Bayhan district of Shabwah province.
The report added that more than 130 militants had been killed during battles with Yemeni Armed Forces over the past few days and dozens of others have been wounded. A number of their military vehicles have been destroyed as well.
Saudi Arabia, backed by the US and regional allies, launched the war on Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing popular Ansarullah resistance movement.
The war has left hundreds of thousands of Yemenis dead, and displaced millions more. It has also destroyed Yemen’s infrastructure and spread famine and infectious diseases.
Yemeni armed forces and allied Popular Committees, however, have grown steadily in strength against the Saudi-led invaders, and left Riyadh and its allies bogged down in the country.